Is This Email SafeHave you ever wondered if an email is safe to open? You receive heaps of emails per day –some are just business and some are from trusted friends who are sharing a laugh or supporting a ‘good cause’. But can these emails be harmful?
Email Tracker Programs
*Cookie; a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in your web browser while you are browsing. When the you visit the same website in the future, the data previously stored in the cookie can be retrieved to notify the website of your previous activity
Guilty or Not Guilty?
- "forward this on to '10' (or however many) of your friends",
- "sign this petition", or
- "you'll get bad luck" or "you'll get good luck" or
- "you'll see something funny on your screen after you send it"
- demand you "send the email on if you're not ashamed of God/Jesus"
- talk about a missing child or a child with an incurable disease "how would you feel if that was your child"
For Example : a mass letter sent years ago, asked people to send business cards to the little kid in Florida who wanted to break the Guinness Book of Records for the most cards.
All it was, and all any of this type of email is, is a way to get names and 'cookie' tracking information for telemarketers and Spammers - to validate active email accounts for their own profitable purposes.
By Signing a petition you may think you are supporting a GREAT cause, but you are NOT! Instead, you will be getting tons of junk mail later and very possibly with a virus attached! Plus, you are helping the Spammers get rich! Do not make it easy for them!
So... STOP adding your name(s) to those types of listing regardless how inviting they might sound!
Yes! You Can forward This Message On!
What else can I do if I am not sure?
- Make it a practice to always delete all previous names from your emails before forwarding!
- Send emails via the BCC field -then everyone after you doesn't get your friend's email address
- Open up a Gmail account - Gmail is a Google product and serves as a fabulous spam filter