Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dottie King Lion's Club Award

I was recently humbled and quite honoured to attend  the Southport Lion's Club Installation Dinner for 2010 as a guest of one of my inspirational students, Mrs Dottie King
The Dinner was held at the Southport Golf Club and I was treated to not only a scrumptious meal but to meeting the members of Lions Clubs from not only the local area but from overseas as well
Dottie was surprised when they presented her with the Frank O'Brien Memorial Shield Award for her invaluable contribution to the Lions for the publication of the Southport Lion's Club Bulletin on the night.
I was completely overcome when Dottie included me in a couple of paragrahs in her latest publication on the Editor's page as well as mentioning me as she received her prestigious Award (We won't mention that I was doing a contortionous act quietly in the corner trying to take photos in ungainly positions at the time!)
This is what she said...

Twelve months ago, when I accepted the position of Bulletin Editor, I thought to myself "why did I volunteer?" as I only knew the bare basics of the workings of a computer.
I could type a letter, send and receive emails, 'GOOGLE' things like the weather or something that I wanted to learn more about. I could also play "Spider Solitaire" until I was cross-eyed.
But, put a bulletin together, now that was a whole new ball game! So I enlisted the help of the very bestest computer tutor, Kim-Denyse. She has shown me soooo much, and she is so patient when I make a mistake or don't understand what she is trying to teach me. And we have a lot of fun doing it. As well as showing me the basics of putting a bulletin together she has taught me lots of other things that you can do on a computer. Without Kim-Denyse's help and guidance you would have had a very ordinary bulletin.


People often ask me why I chose to start a business teaching people computers from the beginning, well read on and you have my answer...
ABOUT DOTTIE
Dottie was referred to me by one of her friends, Wendy to whom I shall always be very thankful. When I turned up for our first night of 'lessons' I was greeted a tiny woman with the most amazing sparkling eyes that I was soon to find out reflected an equally shining heart.
Apart from being a full time carer for her equally amazing Lion and decorated vetran husband, Ray, who recently celebrated his 90th birthday and has unfortunately become a stroke victim... She had recently volunteered to become the Editor of the Southport Lion's Club Bulletin and although she was a pretty speedy typist! (putting my skills to shame), she felt the task quite daunting and wanted to enlist my help.  So for the past year it has been my distinct pleasure not only to help Dottie create the Southport Lion's Club Bulletin which is published quarterly, but also be inspired by such a selfless and giving woman. Great things sure do come in small packages! 
Up until now Dottie and Ray have been unsung heroes for decades with their tireless work they do for the Lion's Club. This tiny woman with the true heart of a lion makes a real difference in the lives of others by her words, her creativity and her  never ending thirst for knowledge
So if you  are looking looking for some inspiration as to what you can achieve with your computer, just look to Dottie as an example.
Posted by Picasa
Regards
Kim-Denyse
My Computer Tutor

PS: If you are interested in joining the Lions Club or want information regarding this article please do not hesitate to contact me

No comments:

Post a Comment